Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Crowding Out

I love this notion of "crowing out" the bad with all the things in my life that are amazing. I wonder and worry a little about the long-term psychological ramifications of such thinking, but as a short-term fix I can't complain. And in this vein, and from a blog post that made it's way into my email this morning, I want to talk about deserving.

What do I feel like I deserve?

Often, nothing. That would be the usual answer. Or rather, it would be the old-self answer, the answer that you'd hear me give in my moments of deepest angst and despair (of which there have been plenty, more than enough). But lately - more and more - I am coming to realize that, simply by being here and breathing and sharing this space with every other being on the planet, that I do deserve to feel good. To be happy. Because otherwise, what on earth is the point?

I really liked this list at the end of the aforementioned blog post, so I'm reposting it here (without permission).

I am worthy of my desires.
I was born free.
I am worthy of love and respect.
I am lovable.
I deserve:

  • eye contact
  • smiles in the morning
  • food made with pure intention
  • clean drinking water, fresh air
  • Hello, Please, Thank you.
  • time to think about it
  • a chance to show them what I'm made of
  • a second chance
  • an education
  • health care, including dental
  • multiple orgasms (and how!)
  • weekends and the summer off
  • eight hours of sleep
  • play before work
  • to change my mind
  • to say no
  • to say yes
  • to be seen
  • to be loved for what is seen.

I deserve all this just because I showed up for myself today.

And right now, I also deserve a taco. Because I want one, and there is a fabulous taqueria across the street from my school.

Tacoooooooo!

(Oh! P.S. - Happy International Women's Day! ^__^)

No comments:

Post a Comment